Niner Transit is always FARE FREE for everyone.
Important things to know, fall semester 2021
Masks are required while boarding, riding and disembarking Niner Transit
Bus routes 2021 - Begin Monday, Aug. 16
- Gold and Green routes cover campus North/South, from the UNC Charlotte Main light rail station to South Village.
- The Silver route goes East/West, from Lot 5 at Martin Village Road to CRI Deck.
- If you discover you’re on the wrong bus, know that all routes converge at Student Union stops.
- Every bus stop has a route-finding sign that indicates where you are, and what bus route(s) serve that location.
Download the UNCCNextRide app
You’ll see where the buses are and when the next bus is expected at your stop. You can also get arrival estimates by text message. When bus routes require temporary detours due to weather, construction, or blocked roads, the UNCCNextRide app and Twitter @unccnextride, will post the changes. More
Basic rules for riding
- The buses have two doors. The front door is for entering passengers; the back door is for exiting. Loading and unloading is more efficient and safer this way.
- Pull the yellow cord above the windows to let the driver know you want to disembark at the next stop.
- When a bus is full capacity, a driver may pass by a stop or only allow a few people to board. When that happens, policy requires a call to other drivers on the route, reporting the unserved location and the number of passengers left. Room is made for them on the next bus.
- Do not cross in front of the bus. Unlike school buses, traffic is not required to halt in both directions. Oncoming traffic continues; cars behind a bus may go around and pass.
- Do not attempt to enter the rear door. Drivers cannot see you there.
- NEVER run after or alongside a moving bus once it has left a stop. Once the bus is in motion the driver is not allowed to halt the bus for pick up until the next stop (this is a safety directive).
- Bus drivers are only allowed to pick up passengers at marked stops.
- Stay well behind the curb at bus stops and bus pull-off areas. Large front mirrors on buses protrude further than may appear.
- Never assume a bus driver sees you. Lampposts, trees, sun glare and parked vehicles may obscure a driver's view.
- If you bike-n-ride, always approach the bike rack from the curb. When disembarking, let the driver know that you will be removing a bike from the bumper rack.
- Niner Transit service ends promptly at 2 a.m. The last light rail arrival times are 1:59 a.m. weekdays, 2:17 a.m. weekends. Plan accordingly and take an earlier train if you require transportation from UNC Charlotte Main Station to another campus destination.
- Holding onto a bus while skateboarding is dangerous and forbidden.
- Do not eat on the bus. Food brought onto the bus must be in a closed container. Beverages must have a cap or a lid. Please report spills or items left on the bus to the driver.
- If you feel ill or get sick on the bus, report it to the driver as soon as possible.
- Place backpacks on your lap or on the floor, taking care not to create trip hazards near the aisle. Large items like carts and suitcases are not allowed.
- Please use earbuds when listening to music.
- Do not distract the driver while they are driving.
- Turn in any personal items you may find on the bus to the driver.
- Simple courtesies and an occasional “excuse me,” and “thank you,” go a long way to making the ride more pleasant for everyone.
- Class schedule influences ridership demand; buses may fill to capacity especially around 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Buses are not like trains; they are subject to congestion, traffic, and crosswalk stops. Service may slow during class change times.
- Traffic patterns occasionally cause buses to cluster in an area; drivers will then take measures to restore spacing which may include brief hold times at a stop.
- There is no service on holidays when the University is closed. See website for modified schedules during class breaks.
- For Niner Transit and specific comments, questions or concerns about campus transportation, contact Michael Christenbury, email@example.com. For immediate questions/concerns, call the PaTS Communication Center, 704-687-0161. Niner Transit information and monitoring is also on Twitter @unccnextride and @unccparking.